Monday, September 18, 2017

ALLA PRIMA still life oil paintings

I took another painting workshop at the Ani Academy a few weeks ago. The title of the workshop was "Diagnostic Painting", and it was a great experience. I am still struggling with painting in oils, although My paintings have improved immensely the last year. The alla prima painting practice at the workshop was eye-opening, and I have gone on to paint a few more still lifes since.


This was my set-up at the Ani Academy. I estimate I spent about 10 hours on it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out.




I have this great blue bottle, but I had to shorten it considerably to fit in my still life box. I think it came out great. This was probably 4 hours.
___________________


Here is an ambitious little still life, considering the nasturtiums drooped by the minute, so I had to do a bit of artistic interpretation along the way. This took about 3 hours. The finished product below....



___________________________



I have admired other artist's painting of lemons, so I gave it a try myself. This was about 4 hours.



My sweet peas are actually a pretty magenta color, but I didn't take the time to mix the color up well, and it just looked bad. So, I turned to some pretty pinks and reds, so I could keep the chroma high. 
I think my 2 floral still lifes didn't turn out as well, because I was too far away from the still life, and I didn't have a good light on my easel. Painting in the dark does not work for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment